Skip to main content

What do you call the different parts of a phone number?

August 16, 2014 at 12:30AM:

How are mobile network numbers and their names formatted?


Let me use MTN Nigeria (a mobile network provider in Nigeria) as example. I will use two numbers as examples:


local = 0-803-5002249 international = +234-803-5002249

local = 0-706-0552680 international = +234-706-0552680


Now on these two numbers, they have “country mobile dial code” which are “0″ for local and “+234″ for international.


They have the next 3 digits numbers which are “803″ and “706″ respectively.

And the next 7 digits numbers which are “5002249″ and “0552680″ respectively.


Now my questions are, The first set of numbers, what are they called (I called them “country mobile dial code” but am not sure)? And what keyword will I use to know the local part of that number?


For any country from search engine? like USA is “1″ and Nigeria is “0″, if I want

to know local mobile dial code for other countries which keyword will I use to search it?


Secondly, what is the name for the second part of the numbers? I thought it might be “Network Identification Number” but am too not sure. And what keyword will I use to know them from a search engine? like MTN Nigeria ( a Mobile Network Provider in Nigeria) has numbers like 803, 806, 801, 703 etc on that section of the mobile number, what if I want to know that of USA AT&T or others?


Thirdly, do all the Mobile Network Providers in the world have the digits of their last set of number to be 7 digits or is there any one longer or shorter than 7 digits?


Please somebody help me with these for I have been searching for it but no success, and it might be that am using wrong keywords.


Thanks.


Post and answer: What do you call the different parts of a phone number?





Read Question - Answers: MakeUseOf Answers

Comments

What's new?

Popular posts from this blog