Skip to main content

How do I fix a Macbook Pro with freezing issues tied to the touchpad?

August 31, 2014 at 11:11PM:

I’ve recently (ie, in the last 72 hours) noticed that I’ve inadvertently made my Macbook freeze up.


Specs:



  • Macbook Pro 13″

  • Aluminium unibody

  • Purchased in 2012 (it’s too young for such problems! :’( )

  • Never dropped it – some gentle nudges


The screen freezes up when I accidentally pressed down on the hand rest to the left of the touchpad. (And not even that hard: similar to pushing (not tapping) down on the touchpad to click).


What follows is that the screen freezes (at whatever state I’ve been using it) and the Macbook doesn’t seem to respond to any of my frantic button pressing (as a n00b, this is all I know how to do). This happens when I’ve been using the Internet, but I am sure that since this seems to be a hardware problem, it doesn’t matter what program I’m using at the time. Sometimes the screen shows a weird pattern that flashes for a second or so, and then freezes the screen as how I was using the Internet etc… It looks a little like alternating lines of barcode and jazzy colours. EG:



|||||||||||||||||||
weird colours
|||||||||||||||||||
weird colours
|||||||||||||||||||

I have a feeling that it’s because I’ve pressed down on where the hard drive is (did a brief Google, but still a bit clueless about the new unibody anatomy).


I have resolved the problem by doing a hard reset, and after a hard reset, everything goes back to ‘normal’, or as normal as it has always been. But after doing this 3 times in the past 24 hours, I’m getting quite worried! I would like to know what is wrong and if it can be resolved. I have had a Macbook before (black, 2008, running Leopard OSX), and the hardware has been nothing but faithful.


Any advice on what to do would be useful – I live in Singapore and there are licensed resellers here, not actual Apple shops. My machine does have Applecare. But I am really quite keen to not have to send my machine to Apple as they will likely send me a refurbished unit, and I’d rather know what is wrong and get it repaired rather than getting a different machine (I’m a little sentimental, and I get attached, what can I say? You may critique this if you like).


Post and answer: How do I fix a Macbook Pro with freezing issues tied to the touchpad?





Read Question - Answers: MakeUseOf Answers

Comments

What's new?

Popular posts from this blog

Protect Your email address from Spam!

Spam emails are the worst problem an email user always face. Though there are no hard and fast rules or techniques to stop the spam apart from the email providers Spam Filters or Controllers. You would possibly have published your email address on web-pages or a blog from where the spammers may crawl and catch it, just like the search engine crawlers do for your keywords. So, here is a technique to stop them from catching [auto crawling]. Create an image/ graphics of your email address. There are many websites proving you a free email graphics of your email address, but I found couple of them easy to do so. The image below is a demonstration of how you can easily create a graphic version of your email and use the small code on your website / blog to display it. You may do this with any graphics software but doing this online would be much easy ! This would help you to protect your email address. Try creating your email address with: Domain Tools and Safe Mail