Skip to main content

Why am I prevented from creating additional partitions on my Linux PC?

August 09, 2014 at 02:08PM:

I recently bought dell inspiron laptop. The laptop has pre-installed Ubuntu but I would like to install Windows 8 by splitting the exisiting partition which I have done through Gparted live USB ISO.

However, I can not create a new partition after splitting from the existing one. I get an error saying “No more than 4 primary partitions”.

Error message screenshot


Can anyone explain? I know that not more than 4 primary partitions can be created on one HDD but I only have one OS pre-installed.

I don’t want to modify or delete the pre-installed partition configuration as it may void warranty and I will lose all pre-installed data.


Post and answer: Why am I prevented from creating additional partitions on my Linux PC?





Read Question - Answers: MakeUseOf Answers

Comments

What's new?

Popular posts from this blog

Protect Your email address from Spam!

Spam emails are the worst problem an email user always face. Though there are no hard and fast rules or techniques to stop the spam apart from the email providers Spam Filters or Controllers. You would possibly have published your email address on web-pages or a blog from where the spammers may crawl and catch it, just like the search engine crawlers do for your keywords. So, here is a technique to stop them from catching [auto crawling]. Create an image/ graphics of your email address. There are many websites proving you a free email graphics of your email address, but I found couple of them easy to do so. The image below is a demonstration of how you can easily create a graphic version of your email and use the small code on your website / blog to display it. You may do this with any graphics software but doing this online would be much easy ! This would help you to protect your email address. Try creating your email address with: Domain Tools and Safe Mail